Three North Clean

Green Cleaning Products: DYI

In today’s consumer-driven life, we have marketed thousands of green cleaning products daily, and even more that are not. From the 99.9% green product solutions to strong Clorox bleach disinfectants, and everything in the middle. Ones that have been naturally derived from plants and are the safest for your kids and home. But, how do you know? What is the other 0.1% that they’re not telling you? A lot of the cleaning supplies that you can find on store shelves have ingredients that are not ideal for your health, and the health of your family. They may even cause a lot of negative long-term effects such as respiratory diseases, heart disease and even cancer. Despite the potential consequences of exposure to these cleaning products, the government doesn’t regulate them or assess the safety of using such products. Cleaning companies can use a variety of products, that are best suited for the job. As one of the highly-rated Calgary cleaning companies, Three North Clean has 3 different cleaning chemical lines that we use, based on what

Today, we have decided to give you a few examples of some 100% green cleaning supplies that you can make at home. Simple and easy ingredients you probably have in your kitchen already.

“Family health starts at home. Do not overlook the products you use for everyday touch ups.”

Baking Soda

The most common product found in homes, maybe even in your fridge – it sucks up any bad smells from fruits and veggies that could be going on in there. This product not only deodorizes but cleans and brightens while fighting grease and grime.



The acidity in the vinegar is effectively yet gently cleans to eliminate grease. Vinegar can be used on just about anything – tubs, sinks, floors – you can even run it through your dishwasher to help remove any grime that might be hanging around.


Castile Soap

Castile soap is a type of soap that is made entirely from plant oils. There is no use of animal products or chemicals to get its smell. This type of soap cuts through grease better than Dawn dish soap and cleans well.

Lemon Juice

Sometimes people say that Green cleaning products don’t have a nice smell. Well, for those people,  we say, have you ever smelled a lovely lemon?

We love the smell of lemons, so we use it anywhere we can in outhouse. Lemon juice has its natural acidity that wipes out any mildew and mold easier than any store-bought cleaning product. It also gives your hard surfaces their shine back!

Essential Oils

Many people are big on aromatherapy, and these essential oils that can cure your headaches and snoring also make amazing scent additions to your homemade cleaning products. If you don’t like the smell of vinegar in your green cleaning products, try using these oils

The products above can all be used together, or on their own, to give you a green cleaning solution, thats safe for your family.

Now that you know the products, here are some ways to use them to clean your house.

Green Cleaning: How To

Cleaning a Toilet

To effectively green clean a toilet, pour half a cup of baking soda and about 10 drops of tea tree essential oil into the bowl. Add ¼ cup of vinegar to the bowl and scrub away while watching the mixture fizz

Tub and Shower Cleaning

To get rid of any mildew that might be harboring in your tub, spray pure white vinegar onto the area and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Rinse it away with warm water, and don’t be afraid to scrub it with a sponge if it doesn’t clear up. If it is being stubborn, you could always use castile soap with baking soda mixed together to give it an extra green cleaning boost.


Having a sanitary and sterile environment is just as important as having a clean one. All of us with kids are guilty of breaking out the Clorox cleaners to do our counters and floors. As an Eco-friendly cleaning product alternative, you can try the cleaning formula below

  1. 1 cup rubbing alcohol or vinegar.
  2. 1 cup white distilled vinegar.
  3. 1 1/2 cup water.
  4. 75 drops tea tree essential oil or lavender essential oil.

Safe and Friendly Cleaning Products

Even though cleaning products like these aren’t always the best choice for cleaning companies to use daily for commercial cleaning tasks, these homemade house cleaning remedies are great for you to try at home. We hope that this helps you ditch the Clorox, Borax and anything else that ends with “ax or ox” that might be hiding under your sink. Homemade cleaners are the best way to go for your own personal everyday spills in messes, in between your house cleaning appointments. Not to mention, your house will smell like your home – and not the dentist!